Coverd Calls, Credit Spreads, Iron Condors and Advanced Stock Option Spread Trading Image

Discover the stock options strategies favored by professional traders in our FREE options trading mini-course!


Friday, April 13, 2007

Adjusting An Iron Condor Near Expiration

The market took back all of the ground it gave up on Wednesday, and now is hovering within 2 points of my adjustment trigger. A comment was posted to my last post questioning when I will close the spread and the short answer is when I can take my profit or am otherwise forced to do so by the market.

The put spread is ready to close. It is a 10 points spread and I have placed a limit order to close it for a .10 debit. That allows me to keep .50 of the original .60 points I opened it for. If filled, I am left with a bear call spread.

Being this close to to expiration with only 12 points of room between the short strike and the market is a worrisome place to be. The reason it is concerning is because the market, as it has shown us recently, is capable of making a 10 point or better move. A big upside move could really hurt a 10 points spread.

I am taking some of the potential sting out such an event by rolling the long 1,470 call down to 1,465. This will leave me with a 5 point spread, cutting my risk in half. It will cost me some of my credit, but at this point protecting against catastrophe is more important than maximizing profit potential on a credit spread.

Mind your risk, too!

Christopher Smith
TheOptionClub.com

No comments: