Coverd Calls, Credit Spreads, Iron Condors and Advanced Stock Option Spread Trading Image

Discover the stock options strategies favored by professional traders in our FREE options trading mini-course!


Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Life Long Trading Education And A Real Bargin To Boot!

Yesterday I received an e-mail from one of TheOptionClub.com members, questioning why I am often "blasting seminars that charge 2-3K" but then sponsor events such as Options University's Options Intensive Live Boot Camp.

A good question, I thought! A fair one, too...

I wanted to address this "head on" because there is a lot of confusion out there about financial education.

First, let's set the record straight. I don't believe that I've ever "blasted" any seminar solely about cost. A good education is worth some expense.

What I have done is encourage people to evaluate the expense of a seminar, trading course, software, data service, or whatever, in the context of a business or investment expense. For example, does it make sense to spend $3,000 if you're trading a $5,000 account?

If you hope/expect to double your account as a result of the expense, then perhaps it makes sense. On the other hand, if you expect to return 50% on the account then you may question whether you still want to spend the money.

What I have seen some people do is charge several thousands of dollars in seminars, software, data feeds, etc., to a credit card with the notion that they "need" these things to trade. Worse still, they are hoping to double their account in a short period of time to pay off the credit card.

The message I try to consistently deliver is that you want to make those purchase decisions in the context of what is realistic and reasonable.

We all eventually learn that the cost of education comes in many forms, but that there is always a cost associated with it. When you can learn something from a free web site or a $50 book, it can be a great value. That does not mean that information and knowledge are not worth paying for.

I have spent a good deal of money on my education, and I'll continue to do so. So far this year, I've spent thousands. This month I'll be flying to the East Cost to attend a three day seminar. The best we can do is look for reputable sources and approach each buying decision as a professional would. Hopefully, we consider ourselves to be professionals.

Why do I sponsor Options University? I'm one of their a satisfied customers and students. How about Bill Poulos? Yep, a student of his, too.

So, I will continue to make you aware of those products and services that I believe offer good value. Your job is to consider your needs, evaluate the anticipated benefits, and make your own decision.

Just be sure to keep in mind that our education is a life long pursuit. If you are not actively learning, you are probably falling behind.

To your success through knowledge...

Christopher Smith
TheOptionClub.com

No comments: